Sunday, August 12, 2007
Keeps My Feet on the Ground II
The second philosophical question came up at dinner. Erin and I went out to celebrate our new endeavors at the only Italian restaurant in town, La Scalia. While the meal wasn't bad, it wasn't very good either. Looking around, Erin asked me if I thought it was sad when people say "this is the best meal I've ever had." Having had the great fortune of eating actual Italian food in Italy, as well as spectacular Italian food in New York and Boston as well, I think I would be sad if this meal was all that I had ever encountered. But of course, this is Plato's cave. If I hadn't had those experiences, would it still be sad? I suppose not, as I wouldn't know that there was something better out there. But as an onlooker, having had more authentic Italian food, is it my place to feel sorry for someone who hasn't and probably won't have the fortune of having such a meal in their life? Or, in some warped biological game, do the taste buds on his/her tongue react to this meal in such a way as there IS no better meal that he/she could have? I know for myself, I'd like my last meal to be homemade chicken nuggets and Open Pit BBQ sauce. Anyway, to reframe the argument another way, is it better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all? But I abhor a cliche.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment